Here is a list of my top films of 2016 that I loved and the reviews for each one underneath. You may agree or disagree. Who cares make your own or let me know one I may have missed and I will watch that shit and add it to the list.
1. The Neon Demon– The more I saw this movie more I love it. The way it’s filmed, the weird shit going on, the score, the lingering stares, the triangles, the blood, the ending, the eyeballs, the eating people, etc. People hate or people love it. I DON’T CARE! When I watch it I am happy. If anything is truly art this is. Hate or love it.
2. Pee-wee’s Big Holiday– Pee-wee Herman you are my hero. Still! You make me laugh and I would follow you on any journey in this world. I have seen this movie so many times this year and I smile every time. Thank you!
3. The Witch– This tore the horror community apart. It shouldn’t have. There is room for all kinds of Horror movies. I love Horror movies. If you found yourself on either side of this movie you were in the wrong. That’s right in the wrong. You were either a horror movie snob or a horror gore whore. You can be both and love The Conjuring and The Witch or It Follows etc. This was great and interesting and really made a point about women.
4. Kubo and the Two Strings– This company boggles my mind. Their films are all amazing and this one is incredible. A Not Children’s movie bout Buddhism! I love it!
5. Closet Monster– A coming of age gay story that’s not cheesy and forced! This movie was great, emotional and yes kept your ass interested the whole time.
6. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story– Well, I know it’s Star Wars but I really liked this movie. It was the most grounded Star Wars movie ever made. It was sad and felt real. People died. You really felt like they were fighting for a cause in this one. I was in. I was sold.
7. The Conjuring 2– James Wan you know what I want. I love all these Conjuring movies and Insidious movies. I love the real life Warrens and you gave me their stories. This is what I want.
8. La La Land– I love singing and dancing, but I love when shit is real. This movie gave it to me. Plus I love the cast.
9. Other People– Life is funny, Death is funny and sad. This movie is great because it feels like it happened to someone for real.
10. 10 Cloverfield Lane– UMMMMM This movie surprised the shit out of me. It was non-stop and it was great and it was like WTF! Also the main character was the smartest and toughest girl on film this year!
BONUS: Movies that were fun to watch and were runners up to my top 10 list.
1. Green Room– Brutal as fuck. The cast is the best. At the time I thought Nazis that shit is over. Now I am shit Nazis are back wtf.
2. Zootopia– The most diverse movie of the year. It deals with everything racism, sexism, homophobia. NUTS!
3. Black Mirror (San Junipero)- Yes, just a TV show but better than most movies I have seen this year. It was amazing.
4. The Edge of Seventeen– A teen movie for every age and of 2016.
5. Arrival– If aliens showed up this shit would happen. Real and interesting.
6. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising– The only movie that made me laugh all year really and yet also dealt with sexist issues in colleges at the same time. It allowed women to be funny just like the men.
7. Elle– Paul Verhoeven is back with a crazy french film about woman dealing with an attacker. The outcome is nuts. It honestly felt like a 90’s movie.
8. King Cobra– Yes, it’s trashy and all over the place but I love trashy fun!
9. Midnight Special– It was like watching a weird ass E.T. movie. It was interesting and I had no idea where it would end.
10. A space for something I may have missed!!!!!